Around Christmas is the perfect time to get comfy with a hot chocolate, some snacks and a good film or two, a great way to relax in what can be a particularly hectic time of year. I cherish these calmer moments as a person who is chronically ill, during all the fun of Christmas, it’s important to take some time out and to recuperate some energy. I love the dark nights when I’ve got candles lit, hot chocolate or mulled wine, I’m in my pyjamas and can relax to one of these incredible feel good films.
- This film also made it onto my must watch Christmas films post, Love Actually. I could watch this film on repeat, especially when I’m feeling a little stressed or unwell. This film can be bought from the Sky Store or Amazon Prime Video, and is available on DVD. It was also recently added to Netflix, dreams really do come true!
- Mamma Mia. You can’t not be happy as you listen to Pierce Brosnan, Colin Farrell and Meryl Streep sing some of Abba’s classics. Mamma Mia can be bought from the Sky Store, or bought or rented on Amazon Prime Video, and is available on DVD.
- Grease. ‘Grease is the way you are feeling…’ This is one of my ultimate feel good films, there’s nothing that Grease can’t make better. You can hang out with the Pink Ladies by buying from the Sky Store or Amazon Prime Video, by downloading it if you have a Sky Cinema subscription, or by buying the DVD.
- Mary Poppins. I adore Julie Andrews, she’s wonderful, so Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music and The Princess Diaries, are all very fondly remembered by me. I love to sing along to ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’, and remember watching this film all through the night when I was sick with pneumonia at 7, which is maybe why I still use it to help fix any illness. Mary Poppins can be bought or rented from both the Sky Store and Amazon Prime Video, or purchased on DVD.
- The Devil Wears Prada. Oh I do love Meryl Streep! Here, along with Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt, she’ll give you a film that you can watch again and again. You can buy or rent this from both the Sky Store and Amazon Prime Video, or buy it on DVD.
- Cinderella. This has nothing to do with my crush on Richard Madden, honestly! Although the combination of him and my favourite fairytale does guarantee that this film would make it onto my top ten feel good films! Watch this fairytale come to life by buying it from the Sky Store or Amazon Prime Video, downloading it if you have a Sky Cinema subscription, or by picking up the DVD.
- Frozen. My love for Idina Menzel, as well as the amazing soundtrack to this film, means this is always a film that relieves all of my stress! Do you want to build a snowman? You can buy this from the Sky Store or Amazon Prime Video, download it if you have a Sky Cinema subscription, or on DVD.
- Dirty Dancing. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey with their iconic routine danced to ‘The Time Of My Life’ will have everyone smiling and dancing on the sofas! You can buy or rent this classic from both the Sky Store and Amazon Prime Video, or buy the DVD.
- Midnight in Paris. This film is so incredibly random that you can’t not feel good as you watch Owen Wilson switch between the modern-day Paris, and his dream Parisian adventure with people like Picasso and Ernest Hemingway. It’s a deco art lovers dream! Midnight in Paris can be bought or rented from the Sky Store or Amazon Prime Video, and is available on DVD.
- The final feel good film on my list is another Hugh Grant classic, Four Weddings and a Funeral. I adore this film, it’s full of wonderful actors that you’ll recognise instantly, who will create a fantastically humorous journey as Grant’s character finds love. Four Weddings and a Funeral can be bought or rented with Amazon Prime Video, bought on DVD, and is available to watch on Netflix.
Are any of these films of your feel good list too? What other films would you add? I’d love some recommendations!
(These links take you to the product via my Amazon affiliate link, Amazon gives me a small amount of money for any products purchased via my affiliate link)