Today I want to talk to you about food. I LOVE food, I love looking in recipe books, I love cooking and I love eating. However, eating does not love me. EDS has left me with several GI issues and currently these issues are playing up, making eating food, particularly full meals, very painful, nauseating and exhausting. That’s another problem with food, somedays I just do not have the energy to eat. With these problems becoming such a prominent part of my life, I’ve had to spend time discovering snacks that are healthy, tasty, easy to eat, fairly caloric and most importantly, gluten free. Being coeliac certainly makes snack finding a teeny bit harder, so with that in mind, I’m sharing my favourite gluten free snacks for you to try:
- Apple slices / Banana / Grapes with peanut butter. This is one of my favourite things to eat at the moment, I think I must eat this every single day. I dip slices of apple into a tablespoon of peanut butter, it’s easy to eat and a good way to add to my 5 a day.
- Kind bars. These are the nicest snack bars I’ve tried, I love all three flavours I’ve been able to get hold of, I just wish I could bulk buy them and try out some of the flavours I haven’t seen available yet. They’re mainly made up of nuts but are super delicious, you can find out more about them and where they’re stocked, here*.
- Popcorn. Not the sugar filled kind, although that does make a lovely treat, brands such as Metcalfe’s and Nude make yummy popcorn that’s much better for you. It’s a tasty, quick fix snack, and if you buy either the salted or sweet and salted packs, it’s a good way to get in extra salt to help with PoTS symptoms.
- Frozen yoghurt/ice cream. If, like me, you suffer from many GI symptoms, ice cream or frozen yoghurt is the perfect way to settle any flare ups or acid reflux. It is also great for soothing sore throats and for cooling you down, something rather important when you’re constantly full of cold and flu!
- Protein shakes. This is something I hadn’t used until recently after Jack suggested it. I’ve been struggling to eat enough due to exhaustion, flaring GI problems and lack of appetite, but I can’t really afford to lose any weight, so Jack suggested I try adding in a protein shake or two a day. I spent a while googling, finding one that was gluten free and suitable for me. I stumbled across the brand Cute Nutrition* and discovered that as well as the usual strawberry, chocolate, banana and vanilla options, they also have strawberry daiquiri and pornstar martini flavours. I chose strawberry daiquiri and I am so glad I did! I mix mine up with rice milk, in the little shaker I purchased, and it tastes incredible and requires minimal energy to drink. I definitely recommend giving this option a try.
Have you come across any other gluten free snacks? I’m always looking for new things to try.
Find me on Twitter @Amie_Addison and Instagram @amie_addison
*I do not profit from anything purchased via the links on my site.